We are about to start a virtual adventure. We know this is a big shift and our hearts go out to you all. As disruptive as it is, we as a community can weather this crisis together, especially if we exercise grace, patience, flexibility, and compassion—for each other and ourselves.
Our ENG 406 online course plan is designed to give maximum continuity for those who crave it, and maximum flexibility for those who need it. This plan allows for synchronous learning during Zoom conference calls at our regular class times, and asynchronous learning that allows you to complete the same activities at times that are most convenient to you.
This new course plan will require patience, a sense of humor, and a willing to roll with a changeable situation. We know you all possess these qualities, and together, we solve problems creatively and help each other fulfill project, course, and personal goals for the semester and beyond!
Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
Online Course Plan
We will continue to hold class meetings at Tue/Thu 12:15-1:30 pm EST via Zoom teleconference software, beginning on Thu, Mar. 19.
- See the top of the Course Schedule for the link to join the class Zoom meeting at 12:15 on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- During the conference calls, we will go over course business, and either divide you into “breakout groups” for work on your projects, or guide you through activities related to the schedule for the day (e.g. workshops, usability testing, etc).
- We will prepare a corresponding Google slide deck for each class meeting, which we will share on screen with you during the Zoom call. If for any reason you cannot attend the class meeting, you can complete the slide deck activities on your own.
- For ease of access, the slide decks will be linked in the corresponding day on the course schedule.
- Each slide deck will include an attendance slide, where you can add your name and pledge to indicate that you’ve completed the activities for that class meeting.
We have adjusted the course schedule, giving one-week extensions for the Content Draft and First Prototype, and adjusting the workshops accordingly.
Guidelines for Online Learning
Davidson’s Center for Teaching and Learning has prepared helpful tips and guidelines for online learning. The guidelines include instructions for using Zoom. Check out A Pause for Your Wellness for good ideas and strategies for self-care.
Office Hours & Appointments
Our office hours/availability have not changed, even though we will have to meet remotely.